Market Update September 21 2015

Dated: 09/21/2015

Views: 446

For the week of September 21, 2015 – Vol. 13, Issue 38>> Market Update QUOTE OF THE WEEK... "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing." --Robert Benchley, American humorist, newspaper columnist, and film actorINFO THAT HITS US WHERE WE LIVE... Some people felt there was really nothing to say after Housing Starts dropped 3.0% in August, to a 1.126 million annual rate. But, as usual, a deeper dive into the data gives us plenty to talk about. While it's obvious that home building took a summer break in August, it's been pretty active the last 12 months, with starts in that period up 14.9% for single-family units and up 16.6% overall. Some see that trend continuing at least through the end of 2016. They say that with population growth and tear downs, housing starts need to get to about 1.5 million units annually, so there's lots of recovery still to come.We could get there sooner than some think, since new building permits went up 3.5% in August, climbing to a 1.170 million yearly rate. In fact, single-family permits are now at their highest level since January 2008. No wonder the National Association of Home Builders confidence index reached its best reading since October 2005. Before the Fed left rates unchanged on Thursday, Freddie Mac's chief economist said, "Even if the Fed decides to raise short-term interest rates, we don't expect a significant impact on the housing market." A good thought to remember whenever the Fed finally hikes rates. He added: "We're still on track for the best year of home sales since 2007." BUSINESS TIP OF THE WEEK... The way to get new business with the least investment of time and money is to solicit past and present clients. You know how to reach them, they know your value and may have additional needs you can meet.>> Review of Last WeekTHE FED HOLDS, STOCKS FOLD... Regular Inside Lending readers weren't surprised by the Fed's decision last week to hold rates down. Our prior edition pegged the probability of a rate hike at just 23%. The mass media felt otherwise, hinting rates would likely go up at Thursday's meeting. This was strange, as the probabilities we report come from public sources respected by many economists. After the Fed's rate hold, stocks folded, as the Dow fell 290 points Friday, leaving it and the S&P 500 down for the week and the Nasdaq barely ahead. This was blamed on the Fed's doubts about U.S. and global economic strength, but Friday was also a volatile quarterly "quadruple witching" day.Some analysts see the current stock downturn as purely a technical correction, driven by investors taking profits after a long bull market run. These folks point out that although the economy is far from booming, it is making progress, if ever so slowly. One aspect of that progress was the 0.2% gain for Retail Sales in August. Unfortunately, the manufacturing sector didn't fare as well, with Industrial Production, Capacity Utilization, the New York Empire and Philadelphia Fed Indexes all posting declines. On the other hand, Initial Unemployment Claims dipped to their lowest level in two months, while Continuing Unemployment Claims fell to 2.237 million.The week ended with the Dow down 0.3%, to 16385; the S&P 500 down 0.2%, to 1958; and the Nasdaq UP 0.1%, to 4827.Bonds did well, strongly rallying as global stock markets and oil prices suffered steep declines. The 30YR FNMA 4.0% bond we watch finished the week UP .12, to $106.20. Freddie Mac's Primary Mortgage Market Survey for the week ending September 17 showed national average fixed mortgage rates largely unchanged. Remember, mortgage rates can be extremely volatile, so check with your mortgage professional for up to the minute information. DID YOU KNOW?..."Quadruple witching" day is when stock index futures, stock index options, stock options, and single stock futures all expire. Since investors must close out of their positions, there's usually high volatility and trading volumes. It's the third Friday of the last month of each quarter. >> This Week’s Forecast HOME SALES UP AND DOWN, BUSINESS INVESTMENT OFF, ECONOMY GROWS... The typically mixed bag of economic data includes August Existing Home Sales, forecast a bit down, and New Home Sales, a bit up. Durable Goods Orders should show business investment slightly on the wane, yet the GDP - 3rd Estimate is expected to report economic growth holding at 3.7%. >> The Week’s Economic Indicator CalendarWeaker than expected economic data tends to send bond prices up and interest rates down, while positive data points to lower bond prices and rising loan rates. Economic Calendar for the Week of Sep 21 – Sep 25 DateTime (ET)ReleaseForConsensusPriorImpactMSep 2110:00Existing Home SalesAug5.50M5.59MModerateWSep 2310:30Crude Inventories9/19NA-2.104MModerateThSep 2408:30Initial Unemployment Claims9/19271K264KModerateThSep 2408:30Continuing Unemployment Claims9/122.248M2.237MModerateThSep 2408:30Durable Goods OrdersAug-2.0%2.2%ModerateThSep 2410:00New Home SalesAug515K507KModerateFSep 2508:30GDP - 3rd EstimateQ23.7%3.7%ModerateFSep 2508:30GDP Deflator - 3rd Est.Q22.1%2.1%ModerateFSep 2510:00U. of Michigan Consumer Sentiment - FinalSep87.085.7Moderate >> Federal Reserve Watch Forecasting Federal Reserve policy changes in coming months...The Fed's move last week to leave the Funds Rate unchanged has led most economists to think we won't see a hike now til next year. Note: In the lower chart, an 11% probability of change is an 89% certainty the rate will stay the same.Current Fed Funds Rate: 0%–0.25%After FOMC meeting on:Consensus Oct 280.00%-0.25%Dec 160.00%-0.25%Jan 270.00%-0.25%Probability of change from current policy:After FOMC meeting on:Consensus Oct 28 11%Dec 16 39%Jan 27 49%

Blog author image

Ralph and Karen Chiodo

THE CHIODO TEAM - Ralph Chiodo Broker / Owner 610-579-9514 Karen Chiodo Realtor / Owner 610-579-9514 Together Ralph and Karen (and their dedicated Team) have success....

Latest Blog Posts

1010 N. Hancock St. "WeWork" Philadelphia, PA 19123 eXp Realty Philadelphia-Now Open!

 eXp Realty-Philadelphia is Located at WeWork in Northern Liberties at 1010 North Hancock St. Philadelphia, PA  19123.eXp Realty is proud to be located at WeWork (the former Schmidt's

Read More

How to Use Comparable Sales to Price Your Home

By: Carl VogelPublished: August 5, 2010Before you put your home up for sale, understand how the right comparable sales help you and your agent find the perfect price.How much can you sell your

Read More

Quick Tips to Remove Hardwood Scratches

Hardwood floors can get scratched up, whether by moving furniture or rambunctious kids. But many scratches can be easy to repair.“Surface scratches are caused by everyday use, grit

Read More

The Everything Guide to Selling Your First Home

The Everything Guide to Selling Your First HomeArticle From HouseLogic.comBy: HouseLogic How to figure out exactly what you want, and how to work with the experts who'll help you get it,

Read More